lundi 1 septembre 2014

Eblouie par la nuit by Zaz

Have you heard any of Zaz's songs? This French singer with high-pitched raspy voice has hooked my heart and I am head over heels in love with her songs. The 34-year-old's real name is Isabelle Geffroy and she comes from Tours in France.

She became famous in France for her hit "Je veux", from her first album, Zaz, released on 10 May 2010. But I think Eblouie par la nuit written by pop singer Raphaël Haroche put her on the international scene.  
I discovered this artist after watching an american film titled Dead Man Down which was was in the cinemas in 2013. 

Her song Eblouie par la nuit came on at the end of the movie and her gravelly voice touched my spirit sending shivers down my spine. It wasn't just the love story, there was something about Zaz's voice and the lyrics of the song... that made the film perfect. 

I knew I had to find the song and as usual, I was grateful that I speak French and can not only appreciate the melody of French songs but also the words that pierce the soul.



I find Zazvery beautiful and I like her style of singing. Alot of people say she reminds them of legendry French singer Edith Piaff. To me they don't have much in common, I have listend to her version of Edith's Dans ma rue, althouhg I prefer the original version, I appreciate hers too.
Russell Crowe is also fond of Zaz's songs. Yes, the star chose one of Zaz's songs as his motivation song when doing sports. 
The New Zealand actor who is famous for his role in the 2000 historical epic film Gladiator, confessed that he climbs the moutain listening to Eblouie par la nuit.
He also tweeted in June about how Zaz's album Zaz is his favourite new album. I wonder if he speaks French...
When I start to listen to Eblouie par la nuit, I always hit the replay button over and over again. I just can't seem to get enough of her and this particular track.
You can listen to it here. Tell me if you got hooked too. Find the lyrics below.
Paroles / Lyrics
Eblouie par la nuit à coup de lumière mortelle
A frôler les bagnoles les yeux comme des têtes d'épingle.
J't'ai attendu 100 ans dans les rues en noir et blanc
Tu es venu en sifflant.

Eblouie par la nuit à coup de lumière mortelle
A shooter les canettes aussi paumé qu'un navire
Si j'en ai perdu la tête j't'ai aimé et même pire
Tu es venu en sifflant.

Eblouie par la nuit à coup de lumière mortelle
A-il aimé la vie ou la regarder juste passer?
De nos nuits de fumette il ne reste presque rien
Que tes cendres au matin
A ce métro rempli des vertiges de la vie
A la prochaine station,petit européen.
Mets ta main,dessend-la au dessous de mon coeur.

Eblouie par la nuit à coup de lumière mortelle
Un dernier tour de piste avec la main au bout
J't'ai attendu 100 ans dans les rues en noir et blanc
Tu es venu en sifflant.


Listen to it here with lyrics in English. It has the best translation out there on Youtube. Enjoy!!!



2 commentaires:

  1. I am a translator - this would be my English version translating the spirit not the words.
    DAZZELED BY THE NIGHT – ZAZ (Translation by Marie Louise Borg)
    Dazzled by the night
    Hit by a lethal light
    Rubbing against cars
    Eyes squinting tight

    For you I’ve waited a 100 years
    In streets of black and white
    You came whistling

    Dazzled by the night
    Hit by a lethal light
    Kicking cans
    Lost like a ship

    If I have lost my head
    Is because I loved you and worse
    You came whistling

    Dazzled by the night
    Hit by a lethal light
    Have you loved life or
    Just watched it passing by?

    Of our nights of smoke
    Nothing remains
    But your ashes in the morn

    In this metro full
    Of the dizziness of life
    In the next stop, Petit Europeen
    Put your hand, down here
    Right over my heart.

    Dazzled by the light
    Hit by a lethal light
    A final drive around the track
    With your extended hand

    For you I’ve waited a 100 years
    In streets of black and white
    You came whistling


    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Apologies. My other translation has some mistakes in it. This is the new version. DAZZLED BY THE NIGHT – ZAZ (Translation by Marie Louise Borg)
    Dazzled by the night
    Hit by a lethal light
    Grazing against cars
    Eyes squinting tight

    For you I’ve waited a 100 years
    In streets of black and white
    You came whistling

    Dazzled by the night
    Hit by a lethal light
    Kicking cans around
    Lost like a ship

    If I have lost my head
    It's because I loved you and worse
    You came whistling

    Dazzled by the night
    Hit by a lethal light
    Should you love life or
    Just watch it passing by?

    Of our nights of smoke
    There's almost nothing left
    Except your ashes in the morn

    In this metro full
    of the dizziness of life
    In the next stop, Petit Europeen
    Put your hand, down here
    Right over my heart.

    Dazzled by the night
    Hit by a lethal light
    A final race around the track
    and death awaits at the end

    For you I’ve waited a 100 years
    In streets of black and white
    You came whistling

    RépondreSupprimer